Sue’s mission is to reach all active-duty and retired military spouses and to more fully acquaint civilian employers with the impressive credentials and work-commitment of this mighty yet underutilized workforce. Through the National Military Spouse Network (NMSN), she developed the first Military Spouse Career Summit in 2011 and has held the event annually in Washington since then. The Summits have featured the founders of Craigslist and Georgetown Cupcake as keynote speakers and recently expanded to include “Business Bootcamps”; pairing aspiring military spouse entrepreneurs with training and opportunities to find mentors in local business owners. Under Sue’s leadership, NMSN held 2 Summits in 2018 to bring professional career guidance and networking opportunities to military spouses in Colorado Springs and Washington.
In 2018, Sue did the following as well, further establishing her role as an advocate, mentor, and thought leader within the military spouse space:
– Served on the United States Air Force Academy’s Board of Visitors.
– Worked with clients to help them employ and retain military spouses through her consulting business.
– Employed military spouses.
– Provided remarks at a caucus on veteran entrepreneurship put on by Representative McEachin.
– Judged the Military Spouse of the Year competition.
– Made regular media appearances on local news programs like Good Morning Washington.